There are many possible romantic things you can do to celebrate the very important milestone that is the wedding anniversary. In order to offer a selection of ideas that will cater to almost any style and circumstance, we have listed a range of activities here for you to choose from. We would also love to hear any other ideas you have that our friends and readers might appreciate.
And Happy Anniversary!
1. Start your celebration early. The night before the big day, prepare a delicious breakfast in advance; perhaps pastries or fruit with champagne. Then get up early on the special day and go out together to view the sunrise before you enjoy a romantic early morning meal as a couple.
2. If a super early start to the day doesn't appeal to you, why not try spending the day in bed instead? Spend this special time together relaxing, chilling out, and taking the time to really talk to each other and enjoy each other's company for a change. Alternatively, treat your loved one to a special breakfast in bed, pampering them and letting them sleep in. This is a wonderful and thoughtful surprise for a partner who always has to be up early for work or to care for children. When s/he goes for a bathroom stop, place their anniversary gift under the pillow.
3. Enjoy a beautiful sunset together for a romantic end to the day. Pack a delicious picnic full of all your favorite foods and drinks, and journey to a place that is special to you both to appreciate the natural splendor.
4. Turn your home into a DIY massage parlor. Your bedroom is the ideal location to light some scented candles, dim the lights, turn on some relaxing music, and get out the luxurious massage oils to treat your partner to the gift of a sensual and pampering spa treatment in the comfort of your own home.
5. Revel in each other's company while taking a romantic shower together. You can be sensual in whichever way you choose, whether just washing each other's hair, rubbing shower gel into your partner's back, or something a little more physical.
6. Take a romantic bath together by candlelight. Use luxurious bubble bath and bodywash products with gorgeous aromas, and enjoy a glass of champagne or wine while you relax together in the warm water.
7. Turn your home into a picnic spot. If you are celebrating a winter anniversary, it may not be the perfect weather to enjoy a romantic meal al fresco. Instead, set up a rug indoors by the fireplace or by candlelight, and unpack a hamper filled with all your favorite foods. Feast on gourmet delights and wash them down with a glass or two of wine knowing that you won't have to worry about how you're going to get home!
8. Make out! It may sound silly, but sometimes you can forget how much you enjoyed kissing your partner when you were first together. Relive those early exciting days with a romantic make-out session.
9. Surprise your partner with a romantic meal for two. Cook their favorite meal, or rustle up an unexpected gourmet delight. Alternatively, why not prepare a special dinner that you have enjoyed together, perhaps for your first date or at your wedding reception?
10. Take a trip to the movies, but don't go to watch the screen! Choose a movie at an off-peak time which has been in the theaters for a while. If you are lucky, you'll find that you're the only people at the screening, so you can enjoy the privacy of a virtual home cinema where you can hold hands, kiss and enjoy the movie in your own way.
11. If going to the movies isn't your thing, why not have a movie night at home? Pick something you'll both enjoy, perhaps a fun comedy, and chill out together.
12. Flowers are the perfect romantic gift, so why not buy a bouquet for your partner with a note attached expressing how much you love them? For a special romantic touch, for either him or her, hide single blossoms around your home for them to discover, each with its own love letter or note, or scatter rose petals on your bed for a truly romantic feel.
13. Spice up your love life by trying a few different sexual positions. If boring missionary has become standard in your relationship, have a look at the kama sutra and discover some exciting new ideas that will liven things up in the bedroom.
14. If you want to liven up your sex life, why not try having sex somewhere unexpected and different? Give the boring bedroom a rest and try out somewhere a little more unusual to bring some excitement to your special day.
15. Decorate your home with framed photos of you both throughout your relationship. From the earliest couple shots to your wedding day, and right up to the present, you can reminisce together about all your favorite moments.
16. Relive your wedding day by revisiting all your old wedding photo albums, or perhaps by watching your wedding video. Enjoy remembering your big day with the accompaniment of a bottle of champagne and some delicious sweet or savory treats.
17. Create a new treasured memento of your anniversary by booking a couples photo session with a local photographer. You can display your beautiful new pictures around your home for years to come, or perhaps keep a private collection of boudoir shots as a romantic treat to enjoy together.
18. Book a night in a hotel. You don't need to go far from home; simply reserve a room at a local venue and send an invitation for your partner to meet you there. When they arrive, have the room beautifully decorated with candles, rose petals and a hot bubble bath for two.
19. For those who love the great outdoors, take some time to go camping together. Enjoy each other's company under the stars and revel in the glory of nature while rekindling your passion.
20. Find an activity that both of you would enjoy, and book yourselves into a class together. Perhaps you'd like to try cooking, dancing, or learning a musical instrument? Whichever you choose, developing a new skill together is a wonderful way to rekindle intimacy and spend time in each other's company.
21. If you are going for a special meal at a restaurant, or even if you are just staying at home, arrange for a special piece of music to be played so that you can dance romantically together. You could select the track used for your first dance at your wedding, a song that you have sung together, or perhaps a tune that was playing when you met. It is sure to surprise your partner and make the evening memorable.
22. Use your special day as an opportunity to enjoy a new and exciting experience with your partner. If you are both intrigued by adventure and love the thrill of a challenge, try skydiving, parachuting, or skiing as a couple.
23. For a less adrenaline-filled activity, try something unusual but romantic instead. Why not book a hot air balloon ride at sunrise, a special wine tasting experience, or a gourmet meal at an exotic restaurant?
24. If you have been married for a long time, why not consider having a renewal of vows ceremony to strengthen your bond and rekindle your love for each other?
25. Although it may not seem a particularly romantic idea, your partner will truly appreciate it if you take the effort to help with tasks that you never normally do around the house. Perhaps take over with cooking the dinner, helping out with the kids, or doing the laundry. Your partner will love it!
26. Write a romantic love letter and hide it somewhere in your home where your partner is sure to find it. They will be surprised and touched by your thoughtfulness.
27. Buy the special lady in your life some beautiful, sexy lingerie as an anniversary gift, and enclose a note promising a special evening together. Or why not buy her a gorgeous new outfit and arrange for her to meet you for a romantic meal together?
28. Telephone a radio station that you know your partner listens to and ask them to play a special romantic love song for your anniversary.
29. The unexpected is always romantic. Why not learn how to play a special song on a musical instrument, or take a dance class, and then surprise your partner with your wonderful new skills?
30. There are several romantic board games designed to be played in the bedroom. Buy one and spend the evening playing together (eg, twister or strip chocolate / chess / checkers).
31. Plan a special weekend away from home as a surprise for your partner. Make sure that you have everything in place so that you can both just jump in the car and drive away. If you are short of money, don't worry about booking an expensive exotic trip. Simply reserve a room at a local B&B and walk there together. Your partner will be amazed when you arrive at your destination.
32. Spend some quality time together as a couple. Arrange to take the day off work, ignore your phone, and leave your emails unanswered. Enjoy the day by yourselves, simply appreciating each other's company, and get in touch again with the true meaning of your lives together.
33. Recreate your first date together. Even if you live in a different town, you can still keep to similar themes and relive the same activities that you enjoyed that day. However you spent that first evening, you can recapture the fun and excitement of those moments by eating fast food, watching a silly movie or going ten pin bowling. In whatever way you spent that day, you can conjure up old sentimental feelings by reliving similar experiences.
34. Theme your gift to the anniversary that you are celebrating. Each year has its own symbol, for example, paper for the first anniversary, silver for the 25th and gold for the 50th. Customize a special gift for your partner around this theme. For a comprehensive overview on anniversary gift ideas for each anniversary celebration, see our footer heading: Anniversary Gifts by Year.
35. Use window markers and decorate your partner's car with love messages and pictures, or cover it with flowers for a sweet and unexpected way to mark your anniversary.